September 25, 2014

Cutting Back at Christmas: avoiding the budget blowout



Two things you want;
Two things to wear;
Two things for learning;
Two things to share.

I was tempted to write nothing more than the above little ditty, because it really does sum up what my hubby and I are planning to do in purchasing Christmas gifts for our boys this year.

I've been wracking my brain, trying to figure out a way to cut back on our gift-giving expenses.  It just all seems so extravagant, and we really don't have the funds to continue spending the way we have in past years.  Plus, there's a good chance we'll be adding a new member to our family this Christmas, and I know I'm going to want to spoil her.  My step-daughter will be welcoming a new baby girl, making me a Gramma for the first time at the tender age of 38.  Gosh!  I feel so old!  But, I digress.

Today, my mind wandered while I watched the minutes tick by, wishing I could be outdoors in the warm sunshine, since there aren't many such nice days left before the snow flies, and the idea hit me.  I'd heard similar ideas before.  Something along the lines of giving one thing they want, one thing they need, one thing to read, and.... I can't quite remember the fourth category.  As I pondered it, though, I realized that model doesn't really fit us.  My boys detest reading, so that would be a wasted gift.  And, they don't really need anything, either.  Which leaves one thing they wants, and one thing..... that I can't remember.

Yes, I know Christmas is not about the gifts, but gift-giving is a part of our family traditions, and both giving and receiving gifts is something we all enjoy.  I just can't imagine only giving my boys two gifts.  It would be a let-down, not only for them, but for me!  I love giving gifts to my kids!  I love the looks on their faces when they see what's inside the packaging!  I love the smiles and the hugs and the thank-yous.  Basically, I love making them happy, which I do all year long without gifts, but Christmas time just brings something more magical to it.

The only problem, then, is the cost of all that gift-giving.  We really stretch our budget, and, oftentimes, break it.  That's not something I want to face this year, because it causes stress at a time when we should be focusing on enjoying time with family and friends, and on the true meaning of Christmas, of course - the birth of Christ.

So, to try to avoid the stress, and to (hopefully) not break the bank, this year we'll be trying this new approach:

Two things you want;
Two things to wear;
Two things for learning;
Two things to share.

What do you do to avoid busting your budget at gift-giving times like Christmas?

 

2 comments:

  1. That's a lot of gifts. I hadn't heard that one before. The one I usually hear is, "Something you want, something you need, something to do, something to read." My kids are deprived. I tell them, "Jesus got gold, frankincense, and myrrh. 3 gifts." My kids get 3 presents and a stocking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it does seem like a lot, but considering two of them will be clothing, to me it doesn't seem like too much. Compared to past years, though, it's a huge cut. Three is admirable, but I enjoy giving gifts far too much. I don't think I could cut back quite that much! Haha!

      Delete